Otago became a Province on17 July, 1955 and received Area status in 1962. Throughout the Provincial era and also in the early years of the Area system, the districts wore the Otago badge with a strip of coloured woollen braid sewn beneath. Technically, the braid is known as Llama braid, and is the same braid that was used in patrol shoulder knots up until 1968.
*Hisitory courtesy of The Histories Book
A History of New Zealand Scout District Badges - 3rd Edition
Badgers Club New Zealand