Bay of Plenty Area
Established in 1961 at the end of the Provincial era. The first Area Commissioner was appointed on 3 October, 1961.
The cornucopia or "Horn of Plenty" is an appropriate insignia for this area wich was named by Captain Cook because of the abundant provisions he was able to obtain from the Maori villages while sailing along the coast in 1769. Not only was there good food, but also there was good shelter and good weather. This was in stark contrast with Poverty Bay where Cook was low on water, where his men had scurvey and where there were altercations with the local tribes
*Hisitory courtesy of The Histories Book
A History of New Zealand Scout District Badges - 3rd Edition
Badgers Club New Zealand